The President of KGB is the personification of the organization.
The President's mandate is found in the KGB Bylaws. It is as follows:
The President shall preside at all meetings of the organization and of the Board, and shall have the duties and powers normally applicable to the office of President in addition to those provided for in these bylaws.
This simple description belies the true nature and import of the President.
The True Nature and Import of the President
The President of the Board shall preside at meetings of the Board, except that the Chairman shall preside in the presence of and at the request of the President of the Board or in the event of the absence or inability to act of the President of the Board.
The term of office of the President as a Delegate-at-large and Director-at-large shall be three years beginning with the office of President-Elect. The Bylaws shall provide the term of office of other Delegates elected by the voting members which shall be identical with the term of office as Director. All shall coincide with the fiscal year of the IEEE.
The President shall be the chief executive officer of the corporation and shall, subject to the control of the Board of Directors, supervise and control the affairs of the corporation and the activities of the officers. He or she shall perform all duties incident to his or her office and such other duties as may be required by law, by the Articles of Incorporation or by these Bylaws or which may be prescribed from time to time by the Board of Directors. Unless another person is specifically appointed as Chairperson of the Board of Directors, the President shall preside at all meetings of the Board of Directors. Except as otherwise expressly provided by law, by the Articles of Incorporation or by these Bylaws, he or she shall, in the name of the corporation, execute such deeds, mortgages, bonds, contracts, checks or other instruments which may from time to time be authorised by the Board of Directors.
These are the current duties of the President:
- Serves as official spokesperson for the Executive Committee and the Minnesota Athletic Trainers’ Association.
- Presides over the meeting of the Executive Committee prior to the annual business meeting.
- Calls additional meetings of the Executive Committee as deemed necessary and advisable.
- Implements the mandates and policies of the association as determined by the Executive Committee.
- Possesses full power and complete responsibility to transact all business for and on behalf of the association.
- Presides over the annual business meeting.
- Appoints all association committees with the approval of the Executive Committee.
- Acts as Executive Committee liaison to the Legislative Committee.
- Acts as Executive Committee liaison committee to the GLATA Annual Meeting Committee (when committee is functioning).
The President shall set the exact dates for the Chapter meetings and shall call such meetings of the Executive Committee as he/she deems necessary. The President shall appoint all committees to serve during the President's term, except the Nominating Committee and the Chairman of the Program Committee. At the end of the President's term of office he/she shall assume the office of the Past President.
The President, after advice and consultation with the Vice-President and the Director of Alumni Affairs, shall appoint Alumni Association members to serve as representatives to the Association of Yale Alumni. Except when the representative is appointed to fill an unexpired term, each member so appointed shall serve for three years and shall not be eligible for successive terms. In the event that the authorized representation of the Alumni Association on the Association of Yale Alumni is changed, the Executive Council of the Alumni Association shall determine how the terms of new appointees shall be adjusted to conform to change.