Thick, nutritive soup
Split pea soup
Split pea soup is a fine example of a thick, nutritive soup.
More or less, you can make split pea soup with these ingredients:
- A pound of dried split peas
- Half an onion, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Something like a bay leaf, optionally
To make the soup:
- Cook the onion in a little oil or bacon grease over mediumlowish heat until softened
- Put everything in a pot
- Cover the everything with water
- Cover the pot
- Simmer for about two hours, stirring occasionally, and adding water as needed
If you like, you can augment split pea soup with a ham hock, a pound of ham bone, chopped ham, or some bacon, added at the beginning. If you're a good person, you'll use the bacon.